Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Mother's Day

When I was three years old, my mother taught me this verse.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotton son, that whosoever, believeth in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

If you know me...really know me...you know that verse was a mixed bag for me. My biological father was a cruel man. It did not seem strange at all to me that a father would sacrifice his son.

Mine would have in a heartbeat.

But, my mother did not stop with that favorite of all verses in John. She turned to Romans and taught me that I had sinned. She taught me what the consequences were of those sins. She explained that even though my father was hateful, mean, and wicked...this Father in heaven was loving, kind, and perfect. That He loved me with an everlasting love. And that love for ME provided a way that I could be with Him forever.

Because of this teaching...

Fifty years ago today,

on Mother's Day,

at Delany Street Baptist Church in Orlando, Florida...

this timid 10 year old girl...

sitting in the middle of the church with her Sunday school class....

Stood up...and ran to THE FATHER.

Happy Mother's Day Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment