Friday, September 30, 2016

Purpose

Recently, I was in a thrift store browsing the used book section. I found a copy of Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life. Since I may be the only person who has not read the book, I picked it up to glance through and read the introduction.

What caught my eye though was the notes written on the last page.

The previous owner had written...
 
          the address for QVC
          the beginning of a Coconut Pie recipe
and...
           Stand for the Lord. The devil raises up his head but stand in God's word. Jesus said I won't leave you or forsake you. God is good. I thank God for you knowing you. I pray for you always, that as you lead that they (the church) will become as one.

At first...I laughed! 
 
Here is a woman writing in the back of a book that is supposed to guide you to a deeper relationship with God, the address for a shopping network and a pie recipe!

But then.....

The blessed Holy Spirit spoke so gently to me and said...my child...you are no different.

You busy yourself with things that are just as meaningless when I desire a close communion with you.

I desire what is first and most important in your life..not the leftovers.

I want your first thoughts of the day to be about ME and MY plans for today...not your own.

Wow.....

I looked again at the notes...this time...I saw what I hoped was a progression in the life of this woman.

First shopping and household duties...but then the real purpose of her life.

A deeper walk with the Savior who will never leave nor forsake.

A prayer life that includes others spiritual needs, and unity of the believers.

Father...begin that work in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment